Yay, it is back to school for kids! Now that the kids are back at school, it is back to focusing on business for us mom business owners. I do not know about you, but I am pretty excited about the extra time. As I have worked with a few dozen small business owners, there are several hiring myths and fears I have heard repeatedly and ones that I would like to dispel. I believe every business owner can have a great virtual assistant or other team member to support their business. When I talk about hiring in this instance, I am referring to hiring a contractor – someone who is not your employee who gets insurance and other benefits, but rather someone who is paid by you for the work they are doing.
- “I do not know if they would be trustworthy.” While this is a huge fear for many, there are several things you can do to mitigate the risk of an untrustworthy person.
- “Hiring is easy.” There are two sides to this – yes, it is easy, if you are prepared and know what you are looking for. It is also easy if you hire the wrong person and continue to hire others who do not fit exactly what you need. This can lead to repeat hiring and bad experiences with those hires.
- “I do not need to train the person I hire.” You may not need to train them on a skill, but you probably need to train them on how you want something done.
- “I lose money in my business by hiring help.” While it does take some money to get started with a team member, in most cases, you can make more by passing off things that are taking up your time that you could be using to make more money. As you allow yourself to give over things that are not making you money to someone, you can spend your time doing what actually brings in the money rather than wasting time doing things that do not bring in money.
- “A virtual assistant would not understand my business.” I think there is a great virtual assistant fit for 98% of business owners. Why only 98%? Because I think the other 2% need to change their mindset before they hire. Those who need to work on their mindset are those who have a block around hiring in the first place, whether they do not believe it is what they really need to do or they cannot let go of their work to delegate it to someone else.
- “I am fine doing it all on my own.” While you might be fine on your own, have you ever thought that you could be better or do more if you hired? It is important to know you have money coming in steadily before you start thinking about hiring someone to help you in your business. But there is also a point when you can start upleveling and moving your business forward when you hire help.
- “I don’t know what to delegate.” This is a very easy one to figure out, once you start focusing on what makes you money and what you enjoy doing in your business. When looking at what you can pass off to someone else, it does take a bit of time, but in the end, it is very worthwhile to work through.
So whether one of these myths or fears is true of your situation, or you just need to have someone help you walk through the process because it’s overwhelming and feels chaotic, the Delegate It! Challenge will help you feel more prepared and lead you to a place where you can identify what you need to delegate in your business so you can move forward with more freedom of your time and energy. Join the challenge today!